SEO INSIGHTS
Improve the Speed of your Web Page | How I Made a Slow Web page Fly in 20 Minutes

Improve the Speed of your Web Page | How I Made a Slow Web page Fly in 20 Minutes

I Packed My Website's Suitcase and Made It 68% Faster (Here's Exactly How)

Picture this: you're at airport check-in. Your suitcase is 5kg over the limit. You're sweating, unzipping it in front of a line of strangers, trying to decide what to throw out.

Your website has the same problem. It's carrying too much weight — and every extra kilogram is a visitor walking away before your page even loads.

I found this out the hard way. My own page was slow, clunky, and losing visitors fast. So I tried something simple: I treated my website like a suitcase I needed to repack. No coding. No developer. Just 20 minutes and three smart choices.

The result? A 68% faster page. Here's exactly how I did it — step by step, with screenshots, so you can do it too.

1.Improve your Page Speed


Why Your Website Feels Like an Overpacked Suitcase

Every image, plugin, and extra tool you add to your site is like another item stuffed into your bag. Individually, they seem small. Together, they slow you down.

Here's the thing most people don't realize: speed isn't about technology, it's about patience. Studies consistently show people wait about 3 seconds before giving up on a slow page. That's it. Three seconds is your entire boarding window.

So the real question isn't "how fast is my website in milliseconds?" It's: "Can my page load before someone loses patience and leaves?"

My Website's "Before" Score

Before changing anything, I checked my page's "weight" using a free online speed test. You don't need technical skills for this — you just enter your web address and it tells you two things: a score, and a list of what's slowing you down.

My starting score wasn't great. And translated into real terms, it meant visitors on mobile were waiting long enough to get frustrated — and many of them were leaving before the page even finished loading.

Page Speed - Score Warnings


The Suitcase Method: 3 Things I Took Out

Step 1: Unpack the Heavy Images

Images are almost always the heaviest items in your suitcase. A single uncompressed photo can weigh more than your entire rest of the page combined.

The fix: I ran my images through a free image compressor before uploading. This shrinks the file size without visibly changing the quality — like rolling your clothes instead of folding them.

Page Speed -Unpack the heavy images


Step 2: Remove the "Extra Shoes" (Unused Plugins & Scripts)

Every plugin or tool installed on your site — even ones you're not actively using — adds weight. Think of these as the extra pair of shoes you packed "just in case" and never wore.

The fix: I went through my plugin list and removed anything I hadn't used in the last three months. If a plugin isn't earning its place in the suitcase, it doesn't belong there.

Page Speed - Remove the Extra Shoes


Step 3: Repack Smarter (Turn On Caching)

This is the packing technique itself — not what you carry, but how you carry it. Caching stores a "ready-to-go" version of your page so it doesn't have to be rebuilt from scratch every time someone visits.

The fix: Most website platforms have a simple caching toggle, usually one click, in settings. I turned it on. That's it.

Improve Page Speed - Repack Smarter


The "After" Score

After these three changes, I ran the same speed test again.

The result: a 68% improvement. What used to load in several frustrating seconds now loaded almost instantly. No code. No developer. No cost.

In real terms, this meant fewer visitors giving up and leaving, and more people actually staying to read, browse, or buy.

Improve the page speed - The result


How to Keep Your Suitcase Light Forever

Speed isn't a one-time fix — it's a habit. The simplest rule I follow now: compress every image before you upload it, every single time. That one habit alone prevents 80% of the weight from ever getting packed in the first place.

Key Takeaways

  • Speed is about patience, not just technology — most visitors leave after about 3 seconds.
  • Images are usually the heaviest item in your website's suitcase — always compress before uploading.
  • Unused plugins quietly add weight — remove anything you haven't used in months.
  • Caching is a one-click "smart packing" trick that speeds up every visit after the first.
  • A 68% speed improvement is achievable in under 20 minutes, without writing a single line of code.

FAQ

How do I check my website speed for free? Use a free online speed test tool — just enter your website address and it will show your score along with what's slowing you down.

What is a good page speed score? Generally, a score above 90 is excellent, 50–89 is average, and anything below 50 means visitors are likely leaving before your page loads.

Does website speed really affect visitors and SEO? Yes. Slower pages lead to higher visitor drop-off, and search engines like Google factor speed into how pages are ranked.

Can I do this without any coding knowledge? Yes. All three steps in this method — compressing images, removing plugins, and enabling caching — can be done through simple settings menus, no code required.

How often should I check my site's speed? Check after any major update (new images, new plugins, new design) and do a general check-up every few months.


Ready to pack your own suitcase? Run a free speed test on your website right now and see your "before" score. Then come back and share your results — I'd love to see how much lighter you can make it.